Florida Marriage Licence
Obtaining a Marriage License
Both parties will need to appear in the Clerk of Court’s office and have a picture identification which includes birth date, such as a driver’s license or passport. The fee is $93.50 and may be paid by cash, check, MasterCard, Visa or Discover. If either party has been previously married, you must know the date of death of previous spouse, or the date on which the divorce, annulment or dissolution of the previous marriage was finalized. Both parties must read a handbook detailing the rights and responsibilities of marriage and sign a sworn statement affirming that it has been read.
There is no blood test required, and there is no waiting period for non-Florida residents. The license is good for 60 days and may be used throughout the state of Florida, regardless of the county in which it was obtained. A license received outside the State of Florida will not be valid and cannot be used in the State of Florida.
If an applicant is 16 or 17 years old, he/she must present a certified copy of their birth certificate and a notarized parental consent from both parents in addition to the above requirements.
All Florida residents may take advantage of the Florida Marriage Preparation and Preservation Act and reduce the fee to $61.00 by completing a four hour preparation course. If the couple chooses not to attend the course, there will be a three day waiting period. This applies to Florida residents only.
- Both applicants must appear.
- Both applicants must present valid, government-issued photo identification.
- Both applicants must know their social security number
- If either applicant has been previously married:
- The previous marriage must have ended.
- You must know the date the last marriage ended:
- Date of Dissolution, or
- Date of death of previous spouse, or
- Date of Annulment.
- Papers are not required. However, you must take an oath that the information you have given is true and correct.
- If an applicant is 16-17 years old, he/she must present the following in addition to the requirements above:
- a certified copy of his/her birth certificate, and
- notarized parental consent from both parents.
- A blood test is not required.
- The marriage license fee is $93.50, payable by cash, check, or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover cards only) at the time of application.
- All applicants are required to read a handbook prepared by the Florida Bar that details the rights and responsibilities of marriage. All applicants must sign a sworn statement affirming that they have read this handbook.
- COURSE REQUIREMENT or THREE-DAY WAIT for FLORIDA RESIDENTS ONLY: All Florida residents who apply for a marriage license must complete a four-hour marriage preparation course, present a Certificate of Completion for the course, and sign a statement that they have taken the course. For those Florida residents who do not complete this course, the applicants must wait three days before they are married. This three-day waiting period applies to Florida residents only.
- If both applicants complete the marriage preparation course, the marriage license fee is reduced to $61.00.
- A marriage license is valid for only 60 days and only within the State of Florida. Thus, you may not apply for a marriage license if you are planning to be married more than two months from your application date. You may use the license to be married in any county within the State of Florida.
- If you are planning to be married in another state or country, you must contact that jurisdiction to inquire about its marriage laws and rules.
- The license must be used within sixty days of issuance.
- The marriage license may be used in any county in the State of Florida.
- The executed license must be returned within ten days to the county in which it was issued.
Marriage Ceremony Should a couple choose to be married by the Clerk of the Court, the fee is an additional $30.00. Ceremonies are performed Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by a deputy clerk.
Who May Perform Your Marriage Ceremony in Florida (F.S. 741.07)
- All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel or elders in communion with some church, or other ordained clergy from any state or foreign country.
- All Florida Clerks of Court and Florida Deputy Clerks of Court.
PLEASE NOTE: Clerks of Court, Deputy Clerks of Court, Probate Judges, etc., from outside the State of Florida ARE NOT AUTHORIZED UNDER FLORIDA LAW TO PERFORM YOUR CEREMONY.
- All Florida notaries public.
PLEASE NOTE: Notaries public from outside the State of Florida ARE NOT AUTHORIZED UNDER FLORIDA LAW TO PERFORM YOUR CEREMONY.
- Florida judicial officers, including retired Florida judicial officers. Florida judicial officers who may perform a marriage ceremony include Florida state court judges, retired Florida state court judges, Federal court judges whose jurisdiction includes Florida, and retired Federal court judges whose jurisdiction included Florida.
PLEASE NOTE: State court judges, local court judges, and probate court judges from outside the State of Florida ARE NOT AUTHORIZED UNDER FLORIDA LAW TO PERFORM YOUR CEREMONY.
For Marriage Licenses call the Okaloosa County Courthouse at 850.651.7200 x 3 or download your permit by clicking here.
Okaloosa County Courthouse Annex
850.651.7200, 1250 N. Eglin Parkway, Shalimar, FL 32579
Okaloosa County Courthouse
850.689.5000, 101 E. James Lee Blvd., Crestview, FL 32536
Beaches of South Walton – Hwy 30-A
Both parties must read a handbook detailing the rights and responsibilities of marriage and sign a sworn statement affirming that it has been read. Click here for PDF handbook) or visit http://clerkofcourts.co.walton.fl.us/default.aspx?id=15.
Walton County Courthouse
Clerk of Circuit Court
850.892.8115, 571 Hwy 90 East, Defuniak Springs, FL 32433
(Marriage License – Room 208 2nd floor)
Walton County Courthouse Annex
850.267.3066, 31 Coastal Centre Blvd., Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
Panama City Beach/Panama City
Bay County Courthouse
850.747.5156, 300 East 4th Street, Panama City, Florida, 32401
Hours are Monday – Friday – 8:00am – 4:30pm CST. (Excluding Holidays)
Call us today to book your Destin beach wedding or with any questions 850-714-2794.